Wednesday, May 27, 2009

On Bicycle Upgrades....

My bike is a Trek 7500FX hybrid.
Currently, I'm outfitted with:
  • flat, MTB-style handlebars
  • shimanno trigger-shifters and brake levers
  • 3spd crankset
  • 8spd rear cassette
  • 20 spoke front wheel
  • 32 spoke rear wheel
  • dual-purpose pedals (clips/no-clips)
  • rear bike rack

Most of the bike is in great shape and ready to hit the road. However, there are some components that I'm looking at closely. I'd like to get a racing-style drop-bar instead of the flat bar. Drop-bars provide many more options for hand positions which prevents wrist fatigue. (a problem I've had just riding around town.) Unfortunately, adding drop bars for $40 would require me to replace my shifters and brake levers for $350. Granted, there are less expensive shifting options but I love my trigger shifters and the comparable system for drop-bars doesn't come cheap. I may just compromise with a bull-horn-style bar which provides less hand positions than the drops but would allow me to keep my control mechanisms intact (I think.)

Another system that I'm looking at is my wheel set. On my previous tour I had matching 20 spoke wheels on the front and back. I naively packed too much weight on the back wheel and caused one of the spokes to rip out of the side wall, throwing the entire wheel horribly off true. I replaced the busted 20 spk. with the current 32 spk. I need to find out if this wheel will be more capable of sustaining a load for an extended period of time. If not than I'll need to look into a stronger wheel set. I'll almost certainly switch my front wheel out for a higher spoke count. It was foolish to take 20 spks. on a tour and I've learned my lesson. I'll also replace one, if not both, of my current tires.

The drive train is in good shape. I replaced the rear-cassette and chain over the winter and the pedals and crank-set are still in good shape. I'll probably have a bike-shop grease all the bearings in the front part of the drive-train. Some maintanince tasks are too easy too screw up for me to feel comfortable doing myself.

3 comments:

  1. When you have your route planned, look up all the bike shops on the route and take their phone/address info with you. I'll bet you'll need it at some point. Also, consider shipping food/gear/supplies to yourself at post offices along the route, the way long-trail (e.g., Appalachian Trail) thru-hikers do.

    -Fergus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Ferg! I'd actually thought of using post offices as re-supplies as well. I'm hoping I'll hit few cities with bike shops. Trouble is, the small highways I'll be taking don't hit many towns large enough for them. I may build a collection of spare parts and have them boxed and ready for emergency shipping by someone at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend and co-worker Sean also works (and has for several years) part-time at Midwest Cyclery on Broadway. He's an awesome guy, and can often get items/supplies at cost. He's getting me my bike for way cheaper than it should be. He's been bike-obsessed for over a decade, if I'm not mistaken, so if you ever need anything I'd recommend going to him. He's at the shop on Saturdays from 10-4.

    ReplyDelete