Saturday, May 2, 2009

Introductions and what-not.

My name is Tom and I live in Kansas City, Missouri. I've used a bicycle as my exclusive means of self-transport for nearly four years. I've come to believe if you can drive it, than you can bike it and if you can bike it, than you should do so. I completed my first bicycle tour last fall. I traveled most of the way across Missouri (Sedallia-St. Louis) in a four day trip. I traveled along Missouri's wonderful "Katy Trail State Park" and would recommend this trip to anyone.

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip from Kansas City down to Austin, Texas. Why Austin? Because it's a cool town and I might be able to get my brother to drive me back.

I take a rather haphazard approach to planning. I've got a mental list of goals that need to be achieved and I make incremental progress on each goal as my fancy suits me. I'll work on the route until I get bored, then switch my mind to the equipment for a few days. In the end I usually have a highly detailed plan including day by day itinerary, detailed lists of equipment, packing layouts and precautionary safe-guards. The Boy Scout's motto of "Be Prepared" is often in the forefront of my thoughts.

I plan to use this Blog to present the progress of my plans and training to those who might be interested.

1 comment: