Friday, June 5, 2009

On Training

Austin, Texas is roughly 750 miles from Kansas City, Missouri. I've done a few calculations concerning estimates of daily mileage and found that I'll be on the bike for 9-12 days if I average 60-90miles per day. This is bound to take a toll on my endurance and therefore it's important that I build my stamina over the course of the summer.

I was in great shape during my trans-Missouri trip last fall but the cold K.C. winter didn't allow me to get out on any long rides. So now I'm starting over. I went out yesterday for a hard-paced 20 miles to get back in the training mindset. If I've got the time then I'll try to do another 30 today. I need to try to get in as many back-to-back training days as I can. The ability to be on the bike day after day is just as important as the ability to cover the high-mileage. I'd like to meet a personal goal by getting in at least one century ride (100miles) during the training period.

By the end of the summer I'd like to be able to take a couple of overnight practice runs to local campgrounds. I'll carry full gear and stay at a state park on the outside of town. This will give me a chance to train for the camping portion of my trip. I don't want to be ignorantly fumbling with a camp stove or knots when I should be relaxing after a long day's ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment